It is estimated that it costs around AUD $20,290 per year plus tuition fees and other expenses to live in Australia. There is an additional living cost of 35% per year for a student’s spouse and a further 20% per year for one child and an additional 15% per year for any other children. More details can be found on www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/english/live-in-australia/living-costs
On a student visa, students are permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during study periods to supplement their income. During non-study periods such as timetabled breaks, students may work additional hours. Student working rights are intended to add to student income rather than be the main supporting factor.
To work, students need a Tax File Number (TFN). To apply for a TFN, students can undertake any of the following:
Online Application process:
- Go to ato.gov.au and apply online
- Go to ‘For Individuals’ and click ‘Apply for a Tax File Number’
- Go to applying for a TFN and click ‘Online individual tax file number registration (Nat4157)’
- Go to ‘Apply for Tax File Number’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘next’
- Follow the instructions until you are finished
The website is the best way to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN). You must be in Australia to do this. If you wish to speak to a person, you are advised to visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The central City branch is at Shop 1, 32 Martin Place, Sydney.
Alternate branches can be found at www.ato.gov.au
Note: International students will need a passport number and Australian home address.